Natoagenag First Nation is committed to providing their employees with a work environment where they can be at their best and strives to provide a safe, secure and healthy living environment for its community members and the general public. To assist us in meeting these objectives we are recruiting for the following position:
Deck Hand (4 positions available)
Based on qualifications and experience in accordance with current salary scales of Eel Ground First Nation
Natoaganeg (Eel Ground) First Nation
Duration Of Employment
Fall fishing season
End of July 2017
Deadline For Application
4:00 pm, July 14th, 2017
FUNCTION & DUTIES:
- Prepares the nets and all the fishing equipment for stays at sea.
- Puts on the bait when necessary.
- Oversees operations and uses fishing apparatus (trawl, net or cages) to capture fish.
- Empties the trawl (or net), sorts the fish and keeps the catches according to regulated size.
- Puts the catch in bags or boxes with enough ice to preserve the fish.
- Lowers the catch into the hold.
- Puts the catch in optimal preservation conditions in the boat’s hold.
- Washes the bridge and the fish hold.
- Takes care of the moorings when coming alongside.
- Drives the boat, when necessary, to and from the fishing sites or when fishing.
- Communicates regularly with the Captain to keep up to date with the evolution of catches.
- Carries out the maintenance of the motor, hydraulic equipment, fishing tackle and on board equipment.
- Carries out preparations before sailing (prepares bait, makes sure equipment and motor are in order, that the crew is advised, shops for and stores food aboard as well as gas and ice, etc.).
- Sees to the maintenance and cleanliness of all compartments of the vessel.
- Sees to updating his Deck Hand competence cards according to recognized federal standards.
- Respects his on-duty time schedules.
- Carries out preventive maintenance on all components of the vessel (motor, hull, electronic system, fishing equipment).
- Communicates the equipment needs to the captain.
- Takes an active part in all the training identified by the supervisors.
- Respects the laws and rules associated with fishing and the vessel.
- Makes sure the vessel and equipment meet safety standards.
- Respects the Captain’s authority and collaborates with his teammates in an atmosphere of cooperation and good humor.
- Takes part in meetings called by the Fisheries Coordinator at the beginning of the season.
Skills and abilities required to perform the duties and responsibilities are:
- Excellent knowledge of fishing techniques.
- Marine First Aid
- Excellent knowledge of laws and rules surrounding this sector of activity.
- Excellent knowledge of the aspects of nautical safety.
- Good knowledge of the preventive maintenance of a vessel.
- Good verbal skills in English;
- Must possess a valid driver’s license;
- Must be able to work on a flexible schedule (evenings and weekends);
- Must be a member of the Community.
- Must be in good health and be able carry 50 pounds.
SEND RÉSUMÉ TO (indicate “Deckhand-2017-07” in subject line):
Fax: (506) 627- 4602
Director of Human Resources, Eel Ground First Nation, 47 Church Road, Eel Ground, New Brunswick, E1V 4E6
Only those candidates under consideration will be contacted. We thank all those who apply.
Click link below for pdf copy.
|Deck Hand Job Posting pdf||151.8 KB|